International Women’s Day originated from the 1910 International Socialist Women’s Conference as a celebration of the strength of women and a call to action for radical social reform. It is with this spirit of International Women’s day that we launch our new WebChat & Text Support Service, a part of SACHA’s response to COVID that channels the strengths and commitment of the feminist movement to support survivors of sexualized violence of all genders.
The COVID-19 pandemic has increased the need for SACHA’s 24-Hour Support Line. However, we know that lockdown measures and requirements to stay home can also mean a lack of privacy (when isolating with others), and a lack of safety (when isolating with an abuser) for some survivors. This can be a barrier to accessing support lines over the phone.
Expanding our support services to include the WebChat & Text Service means greater accessibility and will increase the ways through which survivors of sexual violence and their allies can receive support and information.
About SACHA’s WebChat & Text Support Service
- The service will be introduced with expanded hours to respond to the demands of COVID. The preliminary hours are:
- Mondays from 4:00pm to 12:00am
- Thursdays from 4:00pm to 12:00am
- Fridays from 8:00am to 12:00pm
- Sundays from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- Anyone 16 years of age or older who has experienced sexualized violence at any time in their life can access the service, as well as people who support survivors of sexual violence.
- Trained volunteers will provide non-judgmental listening, support, information and help with exploring options.
- The platform we are using provides end-to-end encryption and no records of conversations are retained. Support seekers can provide as much or as little personal information as they are comfortable with.
- The service can be accessed by visiting https://sacha.ca/services/chat-support or texting (289) 207‑7790.
For further information please contact SACHA.